Does the world need another brussel sprouts recipe? Most definitely not. But is this a food blog? Yes. And did I make brussels for dinner the other night? Yes. So am I going to share out yet another brussel sprouts recipe? You betcha.
- Brussel Sprouts
- Salt & Pepper
- Brown Sugar
- Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- Olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 450°.
- Half brussel sprouts.
- Mince garlic.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss brussel sprouts with the minced garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Just enough olive oil to coat all the brussels, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Spread brussels out in a single layer on a baking pan. Toss in the oven for 20 minutes.
- This next step depends on how sweet you want your brussels. You have two options. Pick one! Don’t do both.
- Just a touch of sweet: do a quick drizzle of balsamic over the brussels. Stir them around on the baking pan, sprinkle brown sugar over all of them.
- In mixing bowl, add 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar and 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Mix until you have a paste. Pour in brussels, toss until even coated. Add back into pan.
- Bake for another 10 minutes.
The trick to a really crispy brussel sprout is to start really dry. Frozen/defrosted brussels will get steamy and soggy before they cook. Make sure you get non-frozen brussels and dry them really well after washing. Then keep them as spread out as you can on the baking tray – flat sides down to start.
Serve as a side and voila! Crispy delicious brussel sprouts. Sometimes we top them off with a bit of parmesan or cracked red pepper if you’re feeling extra. I’ve made these twice this week already. A well roasted brussel sprout is easily in the top five best veggie dishes, right?